- The RFP process is underway for hiring a Construction Management firm.
- Schematic and final design processes underway.
- Final floorplans and arena designs will be used to obtain more specific cost estimates.
- Determination of Project construction schedule.
- Issuance of building permits following design process, Council approval of final costs estimates and mobilization of Construction Management firm.
Lion’s Head Arena Renovation Project
Community Consultation Outcomes - April, 2022
Based on the outcomes from community consultations, the most current design considerations include:
- Bringing dressing rooms up to ice level on West wall, for accessibility purposes
- Creating larger dressing rooms to accommodate larger teams
- Ensuring accessibility throughout the building
- Relocating ice resurfacer room and adding storage
- Incorporating Lion’s Head Library into Community Centre
- Creating a community use space for athletics, meetings, community functions
- Integrating Friendship Club to North end of Arena, with their own independent facility
- Outdoor Walking Track
Further considerations are included and outlined here.
- 2012 Plans are drawn up in preparation for the FedDev Community Infrastructure Improvement Fund application for the Lion’s Head and District Community Centre and Arena.
- At the time the application was submitted, August 21, 2012, the drawings (seen below) were chosen by Council. This grant submission was unfortunately unsuccessful.
- On June 9, 2015, the same proposal was brought forward for the Canada 150 Community Infrastructure Program. This grant submission was unfortunately unsuccessful.
- In a resolution passed on September 23, 2019, Council decided to move forward with this same design in a new grant application for the Community, Culture and Recreation Stream of the Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program.
- With this final application almost 10 years, in 2020 the Municipality was successful in securing $4.9 million in funding for Arena renovations.
- The Municipality committed to working with the Arena users, community organizations, and the public, to ensure the final plans for the arena reflect the needs of the community moving forward.
- Public engagement meetings specific to the project were held during the first two weeks of January 2022. These included focus groups and 1:1 interviews with Arena and Community Centre users.
- A public survey was available on the Municipality website for a two-week period in February 2022
- The Consultants, MGA, met with Municipal staff to receive their feedback in early March 2022.
- Salter Pion Architects were selected to commence with a construction management method for the design and construction of the project in February 2023.
- Conceptual Plan and programming space determination completed.
- The project management team is meeting bi-weekly to advance the project and update the project schedule.
- Council capped the construction cost of the Lion’s Head Arena Project at $10 million.
- Various studies and reports such as geotechnical, designated substances, septic system design is underway.
- Current conceptual plan displayed below.