Skip to main content Skip to footer

Marriage & Civil Ceremonies

You must have a marriage licence before you can be legally married in the Province of Ontario. You can apply for a marriage licence or civil marriage solemnization at the Municipal Office. Marriage certificates and name changes are issued by the Province of Ontario.

To schedule an appointment to obtain a marriage licence please contact the Clerk's Department at 1-833-793-3537 ext. 236 or by email. An appointment is recommended to ensure authorized staff is available to meet with you.


You must complete a Marriage Licence Application Form. It must be signed by both parties to the marriage. The original application must be provided at your appointment. Faxed or scanned forms are not accepted.

At least one of the applicants must be present in order to obtain the marriage licence.

You must bring:

  • the original application;
  • the fee (cash, cheque or debit) $140;
  • 2 pieces of government issued identification for each applicant.

One piece of identification must include your photo. Examples of government issued identification are:

  • government issued birth certificate, including any change of name certificates;
  • valid passport;
  • record of immigrant landing;
  • Canadian Citizenship Card;
  • valid Driver's Licence.

We are unable to accept a Health Card as identification in accordance with the Personal Health Information Protection Act.

If either applicant is divorced, please see the requirements for Marriage After Divorce below.

If a person is under the age of 18, consent from both parents is required using Form 6 – Consent to Marriage – Sworn Affidavit. Further information regarding underage applicants is available from the Clerk.

Canadian divorce

Where an applicant has been divorced, and the divorce was granted in Canada, you will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for the marriage licence. This can be the original or court-certified copy of one of three documents:

  • the final decree;
  • the final judgement;
  • a certificate of divorce.

Out-of-country divorce

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks. Please visit Service Ontario for details on what is required.

Issuance of Licence

The marriage licence will be issued at the appointment, provided all documentation is complete.

You will be required to certify information under oath. If you do not understand or are not able to read English, you must bring an interpreter to assist you.

The marriage licence is valid only in the Province of Ontario and for a period of three months from the date of issue.

The issuer of the licence is responsible to ensure all requirements of the Marriage Act are fulfilled and has the authority to not issue a licence if warranted.

Civil Ceremonies

The Municipality of Northern Bruce Peninsula offers Civil Marriage Ceremonies performed by the Municipal Clerk or Designate. Services can be held in Council Chambers at 56 Lindsay Road 5, Lion’s Head or at your preferred location. For weddings in Council Chambers, alcohol, confetti, bubbles, rice, candles or incense are not permitted. Please call the Clerk for further information.

All ceremonies require a pre-wedding consultation prior to the ceremony, usually arranged at least 2 weeks prior to the wedding date. For consultations, couples must come prepared with the following:

  • A valid marriage license
  • Government issued photo ID
  • Payment for the ceremony
  • Names and addresses of two witnesses
  • Any materials to be incorporated into the ceremony

You can order a marriage certificate online at Service Ontario or complete a Request for a Marriage Certificate and mail it to the address indicated on the form.

A marriage certificate is the legal record of a marriage. It lists the date and place of the marriage, and names of people who were married.

A record of solemnization is not the same as a marriage certificate.

For information on name changes after marriage, please visit Service Ontario.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.